Re: No child left behind

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 11:14:43 PDT

"ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu> writes:
>Survey
>

>1. How many art classes do you teach?
 4 a year (2 in semester)

>2. How much time do you spend with each class?
 91 minutes

>3. How much planning time do you have per week?
7 .5 hours

>4. If you have been at your school for multiple
>years, has this schedule changed (for reasons other
 yes, from 6 period day to 4 period day

>than a growing poplutaion)?
>

>5. Dou you participate in any other teaching
yes, English classes - high school level

>responsibilities that are not art related (ex.
>literacy, tutoring, etc. )? Please describe.
>

>If you answered yes, how much time per week do you
>spend?
 180 minutes (2 sections a day - 5 days a week)

>6. Has your administration discussed the new federal
 yes, at meetings

>policy, NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, with your faculty?
>

>7. Do you think this policy has or will effect your
>art program? How?
We are very concerned about resources since the state (Washington) is also
imposing a required fine arts credit at the same time, but not finding.

>Please feel free to make any other comments about
>NCLB.
 The curriculum director is very pessimistic about it and feels it will
bankrupt districts that do not have large resources or are not
conservative - the record keeping is also requiring that districts hire
people just for that function.

Sue E. Stewart
Sumner High School

---