Re: clay

---------

From: Sid Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 10:49:37 PDT

Hi Frances--the chia pet should be a vessel that holds as much water as you can
get in it, hence a small hole in the very top. The idea is that the low fire
clay without glaze absorbs lots of water, enough to support the tiny plants.
You're supposed to make scratches where the seeds will go so help hold them on
and give more surface area to hold water. It's super dry here so we filled the
insides daily but also we put the whole pet into a bowl of water with just the
seed area sticking out, and then we put it in the window with a plastic bag over
the top to increase the moisture level of the air. The worked well--or at least
all sprouted----as far as being long-lasting plants--I don't think so. Sid

---