Re: No child left behind

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 16:21:39 PDT

> I am doing research for a graduate class and need some
> opinions. If you would like to help me by filling out
> a short survey, please email me personally and I will
> forward you the survey. (jastarman@yahoo.com)

I'll participate. :-)

> I also would like to hear anyone's opinion about my
> research topic. The main questions is how the new
> federal policy "No child left behind" has or will
> effect art programs?

I believe with the new push for "No child left behind" that we, as art
teachers, are going to have to conform to a certain extent. Many of us are
already being pushed to incorporate reading and writing in our curriculums.
I am also being asked to include math concepts. This is truly not a problem
with me - many of the requests I am already doing, it is simply a matter of
documenting what I did. I am sharing many lessons with my admin that include
math, science, social studies, and reading strategies. With so many
"specials" courses on the chopping block I am making sure that those above
me see me as an asset to our school and that I am teaching the same
concepts, just in a different manner. I find I spend more time contemplating
my lessons, and thus, it has been a positive factor to my teaching and my
students.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids