Kiln problems with mid fire white clay

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 10:34:14 PDT

Curious...

opened my kiln, and all three of my wheel thrown pieces with the white
midfire clay had their bottoms blown out. All other projects were of
the Mid Range Oxidation (red earthenware) and no problems. Fired at
08... One larger piece disintegrated entirely.

Wondering if because there is less grog/grit in white clay, if it is
that much more pertinent to bisque fire at slowest speeds? I fired at
Medium speed, to about 1700 degrees. The white clay was all new out of
the bag, and wedged well....

Larry S...

---