RE: Suggestions for a successful Clay Doumbek?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 05:10:37 PDT

http://www.drumdojo.com/world/india/udu_ghatam.htm
> Alix E. Peshette

my udu-
http://tinyurl.com/9213

Hi Alix, my link above compressed into the "tinyurl" shows a thread I
started last year on Wetcanvas when I attempted (successfully) to build an
UDU...it shows the steps. I added a lizard-like icon on the side. Other
members contributed samples, other instruments and was in the end quite
interesting. IN that piece, I began with a bowl and did a press form, then
built coils for the remainder.

If the doumbek piece is thrown in one piece, that'll be a challenge for me.
I'm fairly adequate in throwing, but I imagine that's a good amount of clay.
Gives me a goal to shoot for. Its good though I think for students to see
the teacher stretched in some way, and like them having to set goals. A
good time to emulate effort.

Linda...I took fresh clay right out of the bag. Wedged it up good. Threw
both pieces, the bowl and pedestal one after the other. Came in on Sunday
afternoon so I'd have no distraction. When I attached the pieces, the upper
parts of the bowl and the lower part of the pedestal were getting quite
leather hard. The joining ends were yet fairly easy to work with. Perhaps
knowing the nature of clay...I just got unlucky. Will have to try again.
Meanwhile, the one I made will make a good garden planter! hahahaha....
Thanks folks...

Larry Seiler
My website, featuring both my artistic and musical personalities-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/

Member of NAPPAP-
http://nhstudios.com/NAPPAP/NAPPAPFrameSet.html
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---