Re: Summer camp ideas

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 17:41:39 PDT

Hi,
Occassionally I teach an outdoor activity with my 5th graders that
should take
around an hour and doesn't cost much. I do" light pictures" using black
construction paper and steel t-pins. They are simple in concept but
complex in
completion and are pretty cool when finished. They are great to teach in
an outdoor
setting, because there are few parts and technical problems with the
materials. Here
are the basics:

Materials:
9x12 black construction paper, steel t-pins or straight pins, 12x18
sheets of
cardboard for backing, paper clips of some sort: bulldog clips are best,
pencils,
erasers.
Procedure:
>Have kids do a drawing of a single object (best results) or simple scene with no
more than 3-5 objects. Keep drawing large and simple.Drawings should not
touch the
outer edges of the paper.
>When drawing is complete, clamp picture to the cardboard backing so that it won't
blow around in the wind too much. If you are doing the entire project
outdoors,
clamp the paper on before drawing.
>Using the t-pins, kids follow the outline of the drawing in evenly spaced dots,
perforating the black paper and into the cardboard backing.
>Details are handled similarly by poking holes along each set of outlines,
respectively.
>Taking the drawing off and checking it by looking at the sun will help kids
understand the concept as they go along.
>When finished, these can be displayed in windows to get the full effect. They have
a tin punch look when fininshed.

I haven't done these in years, so I hope I covered everything. As with
all
projects, you should do a couple for demonstration purposes and to learn
the
technique before trying to teach it. Hope this helps.
Jerry

---