Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Suggestions for a successful Clay Doumbek?

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 11:41:23 PDT

Hey folks...gotta question for you. I attempted with white mid fire
clay, to throw two separate parts of a clay doumbek (middle-eastern
percussive instrument) and join the bottom of the bowl shape to the
pedestal before totally leather hard.

Everything went relatively well, but now that the piece has bone dried,
I developed good cracks along the seam. Thought I scored, slipped and
joined the two pieces well.

Was wondering if you could look at the link here where I posted it to
the artist's community, and have images of the work and

Anyone have experience making doumbeks with clay? The no brainer would
be to make it from coils, but I was hoping to throw it. Is the thinking
of two separate parts joined an error in thinking? Instead throwing it
as one piece? I plan on buying my goatskin heads from this site-

any suggestions are welcome!

Larry Seiler