Suggestions for a successful Clay Doumbek?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 11:41:23 PDT

Hey folks...gotta question for you. I attempted with white mid fire
clay, to throw two separate parts of a clay doumbek (middle-eastern
percussive instrument) and join the bottom of the bowl shape to the
pedestal before totally leather hard.

Everything went relatively well, but now that the piece has bone dried,
I developed good cracks along the seam. Thought I scored, slipped and
joined the two pieces well.

Was wondering if you could look at the link here where I posted it to
the artist's community Wetcanvas.com, and have images of the work and
results- http://tinyurl.com/905e

Anyone have experience making doumbeks with clay? The no brainer would
be to make it from coils, but I was hoping to throw it. Is the thinking
of two separate parts joined an error in thinking? Instead throwing it
as one piece? I plan on buying my goatskin heads from this site-
http://www.fullcircledrums.com/

any suggestions are welcome!

Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org