periodicals

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 10:42:02 PDT

The Open Studio Press' New American Paintings, is the one art magazine,
not directly related to teaching that I get for myself. This magazine
comes out bimonthly and is basically is a juried show catalogue, each
volume represent a regional competition, Northeaster, Mid-Atlantic,
Southern, Midwestern, Western, and Pacific Coast. The only real
commentary on trends and art historical notes are in the editor's
comments after that it is page after page of glossy, museum catalogue
quality prints of artist's work with a bio and artist statement. They
show about 40 artist with 3 or 4 full pages of works for each. The
downside or upside depending on how you feel about the curators
decisions is it is all one person or a small group of peoples opinion.
 I like the great prints and an introduction to up and coming regional
artist throughout the US.

Another big reason why I continue to buy this magazine is their support
for artist, they advertise their juried show, an artist enters by
sending slides, there is no entry fee, if you are accepted in the juried
show there are no artist fees attached. This was practically unheard of
practice in 1993 when they started and I think is still a very rare
phenomena today. So this would be good also for your students who are
planning to be working artist in the future. This catalogue is sold at
all the major bookstores and is subscribed to by many galleries and
other art world types.

Now is it appropriate for High School students? The work represented is
as wide ranged as that of the art world it represents (are at least one
likes to think it is) so there will be some nudes, violence, and overtly
sexual subject matter. I am not sure that would be any different than
any other art magazine.

If you are interested in magazines that have some contemporary artist
works, but whose emphasis is primary on teaching technique, American
Artist and The Artists Magazine, were two I use to get that are good for
that.

Ellen Silverman

---