Re: Cover tables for clay?

---------

MarshArt1_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 05:34:38 PST

flegman@comcast.net writes:

> I will be working with air dried clay (for the first time) with an entire
> elementary school. Do any of you have a good way to cover tables? Also,
> good way to store projects for a week and keep them moist?

I bought several dollar store flannel backed tablecloths and cut them into
workable sizes for each student to cover their work place, I fold and stack
them in one of those poly plastic baskets.

I store the clay pieces in zip lock bags labeled with their names (on masking
tape) that I reuse. As it drys, you have to do it slowly. The clay is more
fragile. I open the zipper of the bag to let it dry a little more slowly.
Then I take them out and put them on a shelf to let the bases dry. I have
patched broken pieces with glue. Be sure they score pieces well and add
strength to seams. You cannot work thin with this clay. Keep coils or slabs
at least 1/2" thick. It shrinks. I use the terra cotta color and mix a white
or Verde gris "wash" of acrylic paint and gloss medium for a glaze and then
wipe off areas so that more glaze stays in the crevices. Looks nice.

Marsha

---