Re: Ceramic Sealer (thanks marvin)

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 06:50:36 PST

thanks for the advice!
i'll get some food safe glaze!
>>> marvinpb@goshen.edu 04/02/03 08:22PM >>>
At 11:08 AM 4/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone use ceramic sealer with their students? I am having the
>students make clay mugs and want the students to be able to use them
>drink with. After coloring with watercolors or paints, isn't there a
>way to spray them with a sealer of some kind to make it food-safe?
>aaron

I would suggest the use of a food safe glaze on the mugs interior and
rim.
I would hate drink out of a cup that has any sort of sealer as the
interior
surface. Students can still paint and seal below the rim where you
lips
touch it if you like the look of that better. Interiors are very quick
and
easy to glaze. Just adjust the glaze thickness so you get the right
amount
of glaze by pouring it into the cup and immediately pouring the glaze
out
while turning the cup so all interior walls get covered. Students can
pour
glaze from the cup into a wide bowl so it is not wasted. Scrape and
sponge
off drips from the cup's exterior. Then hold the cup upside down and
dip
the rim into the bowl of glaze to coat the part of the cup that your
lips
contact when drinking. Fire it. Then watercolor and seal the rest.
These
cups could be used but probably would not stay nice in a dishwasher.
This is a source for sealer, but it is NOT food safe.
http://store.yahoo.com/aftosa-test/ez.html
I have not used it, so I will not vouch for it.
Marvin Bartel

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---