Re: Ceramic Sealer

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 17:22:46 PST

At 11:08 AM 4/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone use ceramic sealer with their students? I am having the
>students make clay mugs and want the students to be able to use them to
>drink with. After coloring with watercolors or paints, isn't there a
>way to spray them with a sealer of some kind to make it food-safe?
>aaron

I would suggest the use of a food safe glaze on the mugs interior and rim.
I would hate drink out of a cup that has any sort of sealer as the interior
surface. Students can still paint and seal below the rim where you lips
touch it if you like the look of that better. Interiors are very quick and
easy to glaze. Just adjust the glaze thickness so you get the right amount
of glaze by pouring it into the cup and immediately pouring the glaze out
while turning the cup so all interior walls get covered. Students can pour
glaze from the cup into a wide bowl so it is not wasted. Scrape and sponge
off drips from the cup's exterior. Then hold the cup upside down and dip
the rim into the bowl of glaze to coat the part of the cup that your lips
contact when drinking. Fire it. Then watercolor and seal the rest. These
cups could be used but probably would not stay nice in a dishwasher.
This is a source for sealer, but it is NOT food safe.
http://store.yahoo.com/aftosa-test/ez.html
I have not used it, so I will not vouch for it.
Marvin Bartel

---