edible clay

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 22:08:44 PST

I forgot that I had the recipe for the edible clay at home, so I will go
ahead and post it in case anyone is interested. I haven't done it in a
couple years but I believe one batch is more than enough for one class. It
goes a lot further than you would think. Jeryl
       Edible Clay
1/3 cup butter or margarine

1/3 cup light corn syrup

teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 pound box powdered sugar

food coloring

 Blend the first four ingredients together and then mix in the powdered
sugar. Knead until smooth, adding more sugar if necessary to make a sticky,
pliable clay. The butter should be cold. (don't prepare this mixture on a
hot day: the clay will be too soft to model) Divide the ball of clay into
small portions and mix in food coloring. Paste type food colorings are
recommended since they are more intense in color than the liquid type (you
can buy them in the craft section of Wal-mart) Roll the edible clay into
small pieces about the size of marbles, so that each student will have two
or three different colored pieces.

---