Re: Dried out clay

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 19:05:50 PDT

I have a lot of old clay too that has been in the bags so long it is not
plastic at all. I guess I'd call it 25 lb blocks of leather hard state clay.
The other day, I pulled out a bag and cut it into fist size cubes with my wire
cutter and gave it to my fifth graders to try out the idea of subtractive
sculpture. It was great. I had them using plastic spoons to carve and we
broke several spoons, but we also got some successful carvings and I'm pretty
excited about the possibilities. Plus, the shaved and carved off pieces are
now dry and ready to become slip

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---