RE: I'd love you to share......

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 11:40:33 PDT

I decided in junior high in 1960. Sitting in the art room having a casual
conversation with my art teacher, I noticed that she had a really cool job.
 She was experimenting with some new technique, and I thought, "How cool is
this? She gets to 'play' with all that great stuff all day AND talk to cool
kids like me!"

My parents felt teaching was a "good job for a woman" so they encouraged
me. I, too, have excellent math skills so I have often wondered if I would
have been pushed into engineering had I been born 20 years later.

Still, I love my job. I still enjoy playing with all that great stuff (I
made a bracelet and a pair of earrings today experimenting with memory
wire) and talking to all those "cool" kids.

I took a break mid-career to raise a family. During that time I
illustrated a book (a cookbook -over 800 illustrations) and worked in my
husband's insurance office. I was interesting doing both, but getting back
into the art room felt like coming home. I felt instant comfort returning
because I finally realized, it really is what I was born to do.
Christa

---