RE: I'd love you to share......

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 11:12:48 PDT

Hmmmm.... never thought about being an art teacher. When I was a little
girl I wanted to be a scientist. (But I got the nurses kit instead of the
science kit for Christmas and spent the remainder of my youth concocting
potions with anything I could find in the bathroom and kitchen). When I was
in high school my math teachers said it was too bad I was a girl - or I
could major in math - but by then I had already discovered the art wing. I
have three older brother's that either majored in art or art related fields
- but alas are lawyers and bankers now... so I wasn't unaware of art.

How ironic that in science we had to memorize the periodic table, but in
ceramics we were actually mixing glazes and experimenting with clay bodies,
firing times etc... and metalsmithing... and photography... too much fun.

So I majored in art, minor in education (can't even tell you why - but I
have always been around kids) - masters in elementary ed.....

So right now I play - I still like to manipulate materials to see the
results, so I never have a product of any kind - and when I grow up I would
like to be an engineer.

Ellen

> .....if you will. How did you choose to become an art teacher? And, when
> the
> school day or year is over, what do you do for yourself, artwise.
>
> Alex

---