Re: I'd love you to share......

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 10:12:19 PDT

I'm the LAST person I ever thought would become a teacher. My mother
tried to get me to take art ed classes when I was in college as
"something to fall back on" if I didn't make it as an artist (which had
been my goal since kindergarten. Literally.). Art ed at that time
connoted "happy hands" artsy-craftsy projects. It wasn't 'til there
was a teacher strike in Tucson and I became a strike-bustin' sub that I
met the non-striking art teacher at the school I was assigned. Hey,
those kids were making art! He was a really dynamic individual who
inspired me not only to get my master's in art ed but to get certified
in reading as well.

I'm ashamed to say I just don't make time for my own work except in the
summer (and often not even then). At home after school I hike with the
dog, read the mail and newspaper, and cook dinner for myself--real
meals, so I guess that's my art form.

Maggie the Scab

Tajd0291@aol.com wrote:

> .....if you will. How did you choose to become an art teacher? And, when the
> school day or year is over, what do you do for yourself, artwise.

---