We did plaster cast hands using dental alginate as the mold making material
and it's been ....interesting....
We had a couple that "amputated" the last joint of curved fingers. After
this happened a couple of times we realized that the plaster wouldn't rise
up to that level in the mold, once it had hit the lowest level. (Can't
explain, but picture a letter "J"--if the plaster is at the bottom of the
"J" it's not going to flow back up into the mold to get the little piece
that turns up.)
Once we figured that out, the kids adjusted the positions of the fingers.
We also had some broken fingers but not too many. We've used Elmers and
that's worked okay--the hot glue gun didn't hold it nearly as well.
The hands and everything else that's finished is currently at our local mall
for our annual art show. I'm exhausted!! I took 4 great kids in with me
early yesterday morning and it took us a solid 3 hours to get it all placed.
Some display stands were a little crowded, but we used all the stands that
the mall had to offer and couldn't hang things on the walls.
And we're STILL busy at school--working on mixed media figure sculptures,
colonial papier-mache/sculpey dolls (getting ready to start quilting...),
tabletop fountains, paintings, drawings, etc. WAY too many projects going
on simultaneously, but it makes life interesting--ha!