Re: I'd love you to share......

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 20:40:22 PDT

I think art teaching chose me....I always knew I wanted to do something with art. From the time I could hold a crayon, I was busy making things. It seemed natural to be making, doing art and I guess I just fell into teaching it. I knew I could do it better than my hs art teacher did it!
As part of my speech when I was Indiana Middle Level Teacher of the Year, I talked about how the art teacher HAS to continue to create their own art work. That taking time for ones own art keeps the fire burning and ignites the fires for the students.
It is difficult with family, teaching and just life experience; but mandatory for sanity.
A few months ago, I asked pretty much the same question to this group for a masters class, and received some wonderful answers that I have written up in a journal. I am also creating a mixed-media work that I will probably title "Ode to the Art Teacher"