Re: Success painting with K-3

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 18:34:34 PDT

Larry, I love this! Funny, I just finished my "rainy day" portraits with my
kinders. We drew boys/girls in raincoats and umbrellas and colored them with
crayons. We took blue Crayola markers (not watercolor or washable) and drew
raindrops (little lines/dots). Then we dipped the whole thing in water and
watched the rain start to "rain". The kinders had a lots of "whoa!" and
cool!" and "let ME see!". They love seeing something they are used to
transformed into something different.
I wonder if regular markers, if used with paintbrushes and water, would
blend together in this same technique. Larry, how do you afford watercolor
markers???
~Michal

Then, they used Crayola watercolor markers to color them with many colors
but not fill them in because after they were going over them with watercolor
brushes and clear water. They enjoy so much seeing that brilliant marker
color convert to paint. After, we finished with oil pastels when their
works were dry, and had a discussion on what "mixed media" was.

picture