Success painting with K-3

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 15:02:30 PDT

I guess I just want to say I feel pretty good about my young students.
Today, I finished the day with my first graders. A large typically rockous
group. Last week, they drew a large dog and a large duck on 12" x 18" white
sulphite drawing paper using a light colored pencil. I showed them on the
blackboard several methods for seeing/sensing how squares, circles,
rectangles and triangles would represent the varying shapes that would
construct a dog or duck.

Then, they used Crayola watercolor markers to color them with many colors
but not fill them in because after they were going over them with watercolor
brushes and clear water. They enjoy so much seeing that brilliant marker
color convert to paint. After, we finished with oil pastels when their
works were dry, and had a discussion on what "mixed media" was.

It amazes me that they already are understanding that cool color in the
background will be a means to get their subject done in warm colors to stand
out.

Sometimes (teaching K-12) you can't help but wonder..."what the heck am I
doing here!!!!" ...but, everyone once in awhile you step back as an
observer and realize, "you know...these kids are learning something and I'm
part the reason why!" Well...only about five more weeks...!!! Hang in
there everyone!

Larry
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---