Re: Visual Culture is basic

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 11:29:07 PDT

Spiral curriculum is the concept that you build upon a
concept from a previous level and extend it.

For example, as part of an IBPYP unit, Grade 2's and I
made toys. One group made vehicles that could roll
down an incline and thus function for science
experients. The other group made kaleidoscopes and
explored the science of light. The next year, we
looked at toys as inventions, drew in Leonardo's
inventions as inspiration, then made our own design
for a new toy, voted on the best ones and made them in
small groups.

That is spiral curriculum - you start at one level and
then using the concept and experience as the base,
take it to the next level of thinking and application.

Or to think of it in simple terms, a mother tells a
child to not touch the stove or else you'll get
burned. Over time, eventually the child may try and
figure out for themselves what the stove does and then
gets burned. The spiral of thinking is that over time,
the child learns that they only get burned when the
stove is on. That is spiral curriculum.

Teresa

leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu