Ruth Handler creator of Nearly Me breast prosthesis dies

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 04:48:46 PDT

For your information,
    This post was to a breast cancer support list to which I belong. Caring
to design something functional for the unBarbies of the world is a special
contribution.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

She died Saturday at age 85 after complications from colon surgery. Ruth
Handler was also the creator of the Barbie doll and co-founder of Mattel
toy company. Ken and Barbie are named after her son and daughter.

In 1970 she was dx'd with BC and had a mastectomy. She developed the
Nearly Me breast prosthesis after being dissatisfied with the "shapeless
globs" available back then.

Full story at:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-000030281apr28.story?c
oll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dfrontpage