RE: Are there any new ideas out there?

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 03:28:03 PDT

rebecca don't ever lose that fire you are the new idea.....committed.. intelligent and motivatedwith a multidiciplinary approach to the arts!!!!!.....bravisssssss! from eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com greg sharp in california/golden opportunities living arts institute
  Rebecca Stone-Danahy <RebeccaStoneDanahy@fcds.org> wrote:

Are we static art teachers?
        No way! If we teach kids, I don't believe they let us be static. I am constantly adding to, creating and revising lessons and ideas. The students push me as much as I push them.

What do you think about art teachers and their ideologies these days?
        I think that as a whole, we are in the process of rediscovering and redefining who we are as a group, what we want to teach, and how we are going to teach it. Although there are different philosophical schools of thought out there the bottom line is that we are in it for the students. That is what pushes us. We know the arts are important and what they have meant to each of us and we strive to share that with our students. What better feeling is there than to help a student achieve more than they thought possible?

Do they still use DBAE, interdisciplinary learning or creatvie
expressionism (Lowenfeld)any new ideas out there or new philosophies?
        The trend is DBAE still but not as hard core as a few years ago. I think that the next five or so years will become more of a middle ground between studio based classes (creative expressionism?, DBAE, inter-disciplinary and multi-cultural. I was always taught that a good art teacher incorporates history, multi-culturalism, interdisciplinary, creative expressionism and art criticism with planned lessons that teach the students how artists really work. How can we not teach a project without looking at past artists, critiquing the artist's past work and collaborating with colleagues across disciplines where applicable. We present ideas from other cultures as we go and still leave the project open-ended enough for student interpretation and expression. Then, we look at the end-product, push the student to go further and teach them how to evaluate their own work, all the while raising the bar for "what constitutes good art."

 My thoughts,
Becky in NC