Re: Smithsonian Craft Show

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 20:25:18 PDT

Christopher Anderson wrote:
> Actually two of the artists in the Smithsonian Show have Artists in
> Residence tapes: Scott Bennett and Fong Choo. Both are in ceramics and
> create incredible work.

I became interested in Chris's tapes and have viewed several of them. If
you are looking for a source that deals with process and artist intention, I
find the tapes a great resource. Mr. Anderson records the artists in their
studios, in real time, and makes nothing from the experience other than
what the artist wants to present. It is truly an Artist In Residence
experience. I have shown some of the tapes "blindly" to my classes and my
high school students have been absolutely taken with processes and
techniques they have little opportunity to experience in what I can provide.
The tapes are not slick representations of artists -- they are about real
people who have chosen a path in the arts and are making personal
expressions through their art. My students have responded very favorably
to the tapes I have shown them. I find that they are very anxious to see
that one can "follow his/her bliss."

The tapes are available at:
http://www.artinres.com/

my kids just loved the Dawson Kellogg -Rhapsody in Glass
glass blowing is something they are curious about and he is very good

Patty

---