Re: I need sculpture lessons

---------

From: Kathleen Shilson (kshilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 22:22:18 PDT

Thanks Linda
Wayne S
----- Original Message -----
From: "linda" <lwoods@sjs.org>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: I need sculpture lessons

> you can make large 3 dimensional helium filled balloons with mylar that
you cut and I think glue together somehow. I've seen them in someone's
catalogue. Ice sculpture would be fun to try.
> Sand sculpture....like the contests they have at the beach in the summer
time. Clay, of course. You can call a foundry for sandstone and ask them
to call you the first time they start over with clean sand in a casting
series...if the first casting they do is an iron casting, it's pretty safe,
if you use masks, for kids to carve on, and the love it. You can pour
plaster in milk cartons and carve it or make molds with it. You can take
tree limbs with branches and strip them of leaves and bark, then make
abstract creatures, etc. with mixed media...paint them, add feathers, yarn,
metal, etc. (See James Surls WONDERFUL work to see how he uses trees in his
work.) You can use wood scraps and build some wonderful wall reliefs or
table top sculptures with wood. You can create cardoard scupltures and
papier mache them and add mixed media to them. You can sew and stuff fabric
and make soft sculpture. You can take aluminum cans and cut them up and
combine them with wire to make birds, planes, cars, and so on. You can Use
just wire and make wonderful sculptures that can be suspended in air, a la
Calder, or wrapped with papier mache after making an armature of a funky
person or animal and continue with mixed media embellishment. Look at
Louise Nevelson and make "junk sculpture" that you spray paint, or make
found object sculpture. You could tell the kids in the beginning that you
want to collect all sorts of "stuff!" to use as resources, and start a junk
box or pile that kids can use. You can use plaster guauze and do body
casts. You can make masks, What age are you teaching? I think once you
start thinking, you could go on and on.