Re: Visual Culture is basic

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 19:20:54 PDT

teresa makes a really good point about visual culture being considered as a
meta-level of an art curriculum. the problem in my experience is that where
and when i have been teaching (central florida 1988 - 2002), our budget
situations have been so unpredictable (well, actually rather predictably
poor) that i don't know many students who have attended public schools and
have had a solid, sequential type of instruction in art. some years they
have art once a week, some once a day, some none at all. it is hard to make
a spiral curriculum work in this case. i would *love* for all my kids,
most of my kids, even, to have a decent mastery of the basics so that we
could be more exploratory, but alas, that is not the case here.

my foray into the vc front is a dissertation study to be unleashed in the
fall. it consists of intensive instruction in picture analysis and
representational and conceptual drawing skills (aka art criticism and
studio). students are supposed to apply picture analysis skills to
illustrations which accompany text; then they may be able to better
understand the text - dual processing. they are also expected to draw
pictures on their own to illustrate text, again to assist with
comprehension. i'll let you know how it goes!

wendy

---