Re: Visual Culture is basic

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 18:20:20 PDT

To understand Visual Culture -

Start with Robert Solso's, "Cognition and the Visual
Arts" MIT Press, 1993. This gives an excellent
background to the latest developments from cognitive
science and how it affects our understanding of visual
processing. I prepared an attachment from the online
library at NICI of other resources but it was filtered
out by the lyris manager as too large.

Unlike Sidnie, I don't see any conflict with teaching
basic skills and VC. If we believe in the concept of
"spiral curriculum" then VC is the meta-level of DBAE.
In the end, we don't teach dogma, we teach Art.
Paradigm shift are about looking at something familiar
with a new lense. Visual Culture is a paradigm shift.
Although I call myself a DBAE teacher, I always knew
where the model was limited and filled in the blanks
with other methods. I welcome the latest advancements
in brain research applied to visual processing to
decode contemporary icons which we are calling VC. Art
is about engaging in a dialogue with yourself and
visual culture extends the dialogue to world outside
ourselves, not just to the DBAE pillars. We are
limited only by our ideas of what we think teaching
Art is.

Teresa