Re: Can we start a thread on end of year projects?

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 18:19:45 PDT

One thing we do in the spring, (like this week, while I'm immersed in art show preparations) is to illustrate next year's school caledar. The students use 8 1/2 x 11 white paper and ultra fine sharpies to create line drawings which are appropriate for which ever month the class is assigned. We usually vote as a class to select the month. I like to incorporate a texture, value, or a continuous line drawing lesson, but these lessons are kept very simple so they have most of the class to draw while I have most of the class time to work on art show details. I send the principal a dozen of the best ones, and he picks his favorite. The calendar is published annually by the school, and includes basic information such as rules and expectations as well as course outlines and other school related information.
Another thing I like to do, at the end of the year, is ask the students to do work to be put up on the bulletin boards for the following fall. We'll draw chickens, connecting Durerr or Picasso (a local farmer lends a couple for a day). We go outside and draw landscapes connecting Fauvists, Impressionists or Cezanne. We collect flowers or budding leaves for investigative close up drawings connecting O'Keeffe. We use any drawing media, such as vine charcoal, watercolor, pastel, pen and ink, or brush and ink. These drawings are then put up during the last week of school, and covered with newsprint. When school opens I just pull off the newsprint and we're ready to hit the ground running in the fall.
Mark