free stuff in the art room

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 17:34:53 PDT

Some of the posts lately have reminded me of all the cool free stuff
I've gotten for our art room. I've been sending home a letter at the
beginning of the year (thanks for idea, Bunki!) and I think I've got all
my parents keeping their eyes open now. I have a huge supply of
envelopes from greeting cards ( a parent re-stocks and another is the
manager of a grocery store) they are good for storing small projects and
sending things home. A parent brought in telephone wire already stripped
and cut into 3 foot lengths (perfect for making wire sculptures) enough
wire for several years worth of projects. One section of wire, when it
is stripped of the plastic has about 50 colored wires inside. Another
parent mentioned she had "some yarn" She brought in 3 huge plastic totes
full of whole skeins of yarn-and told me to keep the totes. Another
parent brought in rolls of colored round stick-on labels about the size
of a dime. We used those on masks, butterflies, scrap-booking pages,
etc.. and still have rolls. Anyway, get the word out to your parents and
you never know what great freebies you'll get. Also, I got a lunch bag
full of popsicle sticks that we use in clay work.
Happy collecting!!
                       Jeryl in SC

---