Re: practical final exam

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 13:59:18 PDT

I do something similiar in my Art I exam in addition to their multiple
choice questions.

"Select a subject that interests you (I'll have some objects in class for
direct observation such as an apple, sea shell, etc. but you may bring in an
object) and develop it in 4 different ways on one piece of paper. Begin
with a simple contour drawing. Try different techniques such as shading/
blending, cross hatching, and stippling to create calue. You can try
drawing the subject from a different vantage point or trace and repeat it
identically 4 times. Here's how you will be graded:
10 points- Contour line drawing suggests 3-d form and volume.
10 points- Value shows a light source coming from a particular direction.
Use whatever technique you'd like.
10 points- One drawing depicts the subject using a color scheme using either
colored pencils, markers, or crayons.
10 points- Another variation of a technique we have used in class. Ideas:
Collage, surrealist (make the apple melt for example), words used to
complete the form and shape, etc. Be creative!

Michelle Harrell

Julie (Jarsawyer@aol.com) wrote: Hi Melissa -- I saw in a recent Arts &
Activities or one of those mags., a final exam that asked students to create
the same image (in a repetitive grid) in a variety of techniques and styles.
  The finished work demonstrated the students' understanding of various
techniques and styles and was visually appealing as a finished art work as
well. They used techniques such as stippling, cross-hatching, high
contrast, shading, etc. and styles such as
cubism, fauvism, surrealism, etc. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.
There were about 24 blocks in the grid.