Re: art show, was dinosaurs

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 22:49:29 PDT

I entered my students in the local museum student art exhibit - two of my
student's scores were SO low, and they were two of the strongest pieces
entered. One of the works I had taken the student's picture with my digital
camera and stretched the shadows. This student then drew his image,
enlarging from a 3x5" to a 12x18", finishing it with complementary colors.
He worked SO hard on it and was so proud of completing a successful artwork
(one of his first truly successful works). The judge for this exhibit had
rubrics and the comment written on the paper was "student should not trace.
all drawings should be hand drawn". I was livid! So I don't hold alot of
faith in the judges and we probably won't exhibit there next year. Too bad,
but there was NO way I was going to share those types of comments with my
budding (and less than confident) artists!
~Michal

 I don't know if I'm even going to bother next year.
I love having my kids work in an actual competition, but these people don't
sound like they know what they're doing! What's your opinion? Janet

picture