Re: visual culture and basic art skills

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 16:03:51 PDT

I agree so much with Wendy that we need to set basic skills. I, as many
on this list, grew up in the 70's when we were just supposed to be free
and unencumbered by convention, history,morals etc. and express ourselves
and we didin't have the means to do it. Out of our outrage DBAE grew up,
flourished and prospered and now is seeming out of date and will be
replaced. I believe that colleges really want a DBAE product out of us,
fully trained in skills so that they can liberate their minds and get
conceptual and wonderful and creative. The problem is that once
graduated, they enter the ed. field and start with conceptual ideals in
the lower grades and up. Eventually we will not teach skills, we will
concentrate on mind-sets. When the great pendulum reaches waaaay back, a
demand will once more come for basic skills. It's just the way we humans
are.

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #