Smithsonian Craft Show

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (jane_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 15:09:15 PDT

Hey - I just spent the day at the Smithsonian Craft Show - juried show at the
National Building Museum with 1300 applicants and only 120 exhibitors. The
stuff was gorgeous - suprisingly there was only one quilter, but what I wanted
to say was there was TONS of stuff there for Art Teacher Barbie. Clothes,
handbags ( made of mesh and other metals) lots of jewelry, handwoven scarves,
these really cool hats that were straw - they looked like Kaminski hats but were
more like Dr. Seuss shapes. There is a silent auction and I think each of the
artists donated something so you can look at the pics at
www.smithsonianauctions.org. I have bid on some stuff but it is a little rich
for my blood....You'd have to have Barbie's budget, which I believe is
unlimited. Anyway, if you live anywhere near washington it is a must take-in.
Just take the metro to Judiciary square and exit at the Buliding Museum exit.
The Museum is right across the street. Don't bother to enter the raffle because
I am going to win.

Jane

---