Re: ceramic leaf imprints

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 21:41:18 PDT

In a message dated 04/25/2002 3:05:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shinds@seidata.com writes:

> What is the best way to make colored imprints of leaves on white clay ?
> I want the clay to remain white and matte, but I want the veins and
> textures
> of the leaves to show up in color, or maybe even a black or brown stain.
> I don't know what would be best to use.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> shinds

I have used pumpkin leaves to make leaf dishes with the 4th grade. Around
Oct. here, of course, they are plentiful. Perfect for imprinting, they are
very large with an interesting shape and deep thick veins. My kids trace
around the leaf on rolled out white clay and cut out. Next, they press the
leaf into the clay to make a deep impression, then peel off leaf. Then, they
shape the edges the way they want it to look- curling, twisting, turning,
cupping into a bowl, etc.; bisque fire. I usually make available greens,
yellows, and browns, and red, orange for glazing, but another way to do it is
to paint the bisque fired clay with watercolors on the veins for a delicate
"stained" look. Or, the kids could go over the areas they want with
underglaze.
Hope this helps.
Susan on Long Island

---