Re: Question about Mexican bark painting

---------

From: Susan M Kipp (smkipp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 14:56:17 PDT

Emily: Before the Spanish conquest the indigenous poeple made paper from the
amatl bark. The original paintings were offerings to their gods and used to
decorate the temples.Today the paper is made from mulberry (white) and fig
(brown)trees. Bark paintings usually depict birds, animals and flowers. They
are painted in bright and flourescent colors and out lined in black.
You can use crumpled brown bags or craft paper, bright and flourescent
tempera, and black markers. I have the kids draw simple designs with pencil.
they paint them in, then outline the shapes with marker. Unless you use
permanent markers, if you out ine first, the black will bleed. By using the
marker after the paint dries, the kids can "correct" and "out of the line
mess-ups".
I've done this activity with k-5ers. If you can get an original (sometimes
they sell them at import stores, garage sales and 2nd hand stores), you can
have the kids scan them for subject matter, elements and principles of art,
etc.
Susan from OR