Re: Visual Culture: Is a Paradigm 20 cents?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 12:36:39 PDT

I'm kind of vague on this Visual Culture sort of thing,
but I'll jump in anyway. Read between the lines:

"Michelle H. Harrell" wrote:
> I'm going to try to refocus my efforts
> so these "products" will result more from my "core beliefs"- the kind of
> critical thinging/ expressive learning I really believe in. You guys are
> awesome.

I steer my students away from "Their Visual Culture" cause I don't want
images of marijuana leaves and sudo gang images. Perhaps I don't know
how to get them past that. Of course I teach 11 to 13 year olds.

> I'm thinking like social commentary
> (through printmaking) but I'm really at a loss how to refocus.

I find printmaking a way to get some expressive work from students but have
not focused very often on social commentary. I would think Kathe Kollwitz
would be the artist to begin with. I'm a big, big believer in giving
young students
a strong foundation in drawing skills, some sense of design, an ability to
use color, etc. before jumping into to many abstract concepts. I came through
college when abstract expressionism was in vogue, very few of the students
had much of value to say with their art. But, most unfortunately most never
gained the skills necessary to say anything if they ever got an idea
later in life.

> I know how
> to explore these ideas through discussion but I want to connect more to
> making images. What kinds of "projects" are an outgrowth of VCAE that you
> all have seen?

When I have tried to get more (deeper) concepts into students art I find the
medium of collage fits very well. ie: say there were a shooting in your community;
a meaningful discussion could be followed by some collage expression of
the
feelings evoked.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm off sick for a week and trying to get the mind
back in gear. The Doctor says to lighten my schedule for the next few
weeks ???
Monday I go back to Middle School after four different subs, get real Doc.
                                                        Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com