Re: Visual Culture: Is a Paradigm 20 cents?

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 11:03:45 PDT

From: Esa Tipton <tmtartseducation@yahoo.com>:I don't agree that teaching VC
means not discussing the history of art. If you understand VC, it is a way
of redefining art history and the world of art..

I completely agree. I just meant that it's not JUST discussing art history
and world art. I think that some of what Esa and others were saying gives
me more of the courage to integrate this since I do it anyway. Like someone
said, there are times you need a visual culture approach and times when
simply media exporation might be more appropriate. I admire Amanda Linn for
not letting the pressures of preparing portfolios influence the way that her
students learn. I wish I was more like that. I feel the pressure of art
portfolios, contests, and shows because that's how the success of our
program has been judged in the past. I'm going to try to refocus my efforts
so these "products" will result more from my "core beliefs"- the kind of
critical thinging/ expressive learning I really believe in. You guys are
awesome.

Another question, what kinds of studio projects are an outgrowth of these
kinds of ideas. I'm trying to rewrite my curriculum to focus on this kind
of idealogy rather than drawing unit, painting (color theory) unit, etc.
I'm thinking ideas rather than media. I'm thinking like social commentary
(through printmaking) but I'm really at a loss how to refocus. I know how
to explore these ideas through discussion but I want to connect more to
making images. What kinds of "projects" are an outgrowth of VCAE that you
all have seen? Michelle Harrell