RE: Summer Clay

---------

From: Grimes, Mary Lynn (MGrimes_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 09:01:17 PDT

Here's something that works well with young kids. You can use fish,
butterflies, or birds as your motif. Bring in images of any of the
aforementioned, roll out slabs of clay, have the children draw (with some
sort of clay tool or toothpick) an outline of their creature, cut it out of
the clay, add textural details by either etching into the clay or adding on
to the clay. To make this easier, the kids can draw their creature on a
piece of paper, cut out the shape and trace around it on the clay. Make a
hole somewhere near the top so it can hang on a nail.
ML