RE: Visual Culture: Is a Paradigm 20 cents?

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 06:21:58 PDT

Oh I get the 20 cents now...

        In this mornings paper, there is an article on a court case
involving a home in an established neighborhood in Louisville. The
neighborhood was designed by the Olmstead Co. (as were the series of parks
in Louisville... and Central Park)... anyway it involves a suit of 12
neighbors against homeowners who remodeled using 'corrugated-metal, siding,
plastic panels and rippled concrete wall tiling.' In a neighborhood where
the average house is 1400 to 2000 square feet - it is 4000+....

        This month's issue of Dwell magazine has a 10 page story about the
controversy cleverly titled "Slugging it out in Louisville".... get it -
Louisville Slugger.... HaHa...

        The magazine has a discussion on the website - "Does Good
Architecture Make Good Neighbors"
        www.dwellmag.com

        So I guess this could be fodder for discussion with older kids -
Ellen

---