Re: Visual Culture: Is a Paradigm 20 cents?

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 06:02:45 PDT

I don't agree that teaching VC means not discussing
the history of art. If you understand VC, it is a way
of redefining art history and the world of art. It
looks at objects and object making with a new lense.
Our cultures place meaning on objects from other
cultures and call them art, that in their own
cultures, had no such disignation. VC is a way of
bringing latest information about visual processing
through a new lense of meaning making and culture, in
all of its forms, not just the museum and fine art
format. As a teacher, you select what to teach.
Bringing VC into the curriculum is a way to enhance,
not replace.

There are many Visual Culture curricula and programs
in the world, especially in Australia and England. The
University of Birmingham in Central England has
published many resources on the topic. I recently did
searches in WorldCat and ERIC and found hundreds of
citations. There is alot out there to look at to calm
fears. If we have perspective, remember when people
were lamenting that DBAE would take away from ART
PRODUCTION time. We are shifting in our field and new
to bring in the latest information into our practice.