WHY BARBEQUE SKEWERS?? LOL!

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 05:14:40 PDT

I can see why someone would think me an extravagent art teacher for
purchasing barbeque skewers just to write names on the bottoms of clay
work when a pencil would do just as well. About 4 years ago I purchased 1
large package of skewers to use for something in art, can't even remember
what, but have also discovered that they offer a nice way to poke a skinny
hole (skinnier than a pencil) through clay beads. We also use them to
texture clay. We also use (get ready...this is more extravagence...)
pointed orange sticks in place of pencils when working with clay because
if I don't, eventually, every pencil in my box is covered with dried up
clay from kids casually picking up one when they want to use a point to
scratch on or texture their clay, then just as casually, throw it back in
the box. We wash the orange sticks right along with the clay tools andput
them back in the tool box each period. They have also lasted about 4
years. We even wash our popsicle sticks and keep recycling them. NOW>..I
have decided that for ME, I like the barbeque skewer point even more than
the pencil...or the orange stick. It makes a cleaner line in the clay...I
can just read these better. Hope this clarifies! HAHAHA~

---