Re: Visual Culture: Is a Paradigm 20 cents?

---------

From: PROPST, JAN (THSJMP01_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 04:22:32 PDT

Our art department met yesterday and we came to a similar conclusion regarding the use of BOTH rather than either or. (DBAE vs. VCAE) However, encouraging students to develop the process of ideation is a direction we really want to focus on. The Dean at the University of Michigan School of Art is revamping their program to address this. He would prefer to call the school, "the School of Creating".

One of the things that has held me back from allowing more idea driven developmen is the time tables for the AP Portfolio, along with what the colleges ask to see from the students.. If the Universities start requesting to see the student'sthinking, iin their porfolios, then it will allow for more risk taking and exploration, rather than pure product.

Many thanks for everyon'e input. I did get the articles pertaining to this subject you sent, and my colleagues had already read them. Although the nature of our job causes us to never be"static", these new thoughts have my mind on overdrive.

Jan

---