Re: scratch art

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 03:24:09 PDT

I think the tiring and monotonous thing can be a problem. I have had lots of
kids, after coloring for a couple of class periods, tell me they are done with
engraving after about five minutes. I ask them if it makes sense to put so
little effort into the picture on something they have worked so hard on
already, but I think they are weary of the project sometimes. I think next
time I try this, I will put a different project between coloring and
engraving-- just to let the prepared paper wait a week or so before we pick it
up again.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>I remember doing an entire page of coloring. Very tiring and monotonous!
>In spite of that it was of the first projects that I did as a student
>teacher, just this year! Several years ago I fell in love with Oxacan
>sculptures. They are from Mexico, very bright and beautiful. And, I was
>looking for a way to use the sculptures in a lesson plan. I decided on
>scratch art but I made it a little less boring for the kids. We studied the
>intricate patterns used in the painting of these sculptures. Instead of
>covering a entire piece of paper with crayon I had the kids cut out the
>shape of an animal, trace it on scrap paper, color and paint it, and then
>they used the traced image to create their design. Then, they could scratch
>their design onto their scratch art paper. The project turned out great.
>Hope this helps,
>Colette

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---