Re: Summer Clay

---------

BibelotsOutpost_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 23:42:25 PDT

This seems like a good thing to do in a summer class... found it on
the net by accident one day but haven't tried it yet. I'm guessing that 5-7
year olds would need help with the twisting and the scooping out parts,
though, so maybe older kids would be more appropriate?

Rag Box:
1. Take some clay that fits nicely in your hands and shape it into a ball.
2. Place the ball of clay in the center of a square of cloth large enough
     to have excess above the clay when it is covered.
3. Pull the excess cloth above the clay and twist the cloth tight.
4. Carefully set the clay ball covered by the twistedcloth somewhere
     to set and dry to leather hard.
    **DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR AN HOUR OR TWO--
     DEPENDING ON THE MOISTURE IN THE AIR!
5. Carefully take the cloth off the clay being sure not to disturb the
     design made by twisting the cloth.
6. Pull a wire through the top of the clay to form a lid. Make
     an irregular line with the wire and not just a straight pull.
7. Carve out the bottom part to form the box--being sure not to
     disturb the lip so the lid will fit properly.
8. Carve a small amount from the lid part and place the lid on the box.
     Put small strips of paper between the lid and box so they will not
stick.
     You can adjust them at this point to be sure they fit nicely.
9. Before it drys you can paint it with underglazes.Then let the pot dry
     so you can bisque, glaze, and fire."

Deborah

In a message dated 4/24/2002 5:47:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
HydrideN@aol.com writes:

> I'm running some clay workshops this summer at my studio. Does anyone have
> ideas for 5-7 year olds? I'm used to older kids.

---