Re: Visual Culture: Is a Paradigm 20 cents?

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 16:02:57 PDT

Esa, I completely agree that VCAE is very similar to DBAE in that making art
isn't the only thing we do. It seems to me that the biggest shift is that
we're not discussing the history of art and world art that we've been doing.
It includes all visual imagery such as industrial design of the cars we
drive to school, our clothes, the PlayStation games they play, and what
we're exposed to through the media. My supervisor said that others may
accuse our program as being too vocational focused like a drafting/graphic
design class rather than being a new school of thought in art education.
That's the biggest difference in my eyes.

I want to know what other red flags to anticipate before implementing this
into my curriculum from our community and fellow art teachers so (Esa and
all) please continue to tell me what you think about this. Michelle