Re: "Visual Culture Art ED" was: Are there any new ideas out there?

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 11:40:43 PDT

I really want to hear from some of you art teachers who still want to focus
mostly on creative expression above this idea about Visual Culture which
emphasizes visual imagery above fine art. What do you think? What about
some of our higher ed people on the listserv? Is this something you're
teaching as an approach in your preservice teaching programs? What are the
opinions of those who don't like this?

I think for the Visual Culture Art Education approach to be adopted by many
teachers (including me) there needs to be some reassurance that it really is
the latest attitude in preservice programs. I'm also considering this focus
more on my foundation courses (Art I) so higher level students can still
focus on expressing themselves through "products" so they can prepare
portfolios that will still be competitive with other art programs.

By the way, we're referring to an article by Paul Duncum in the latest Art
Education journal. There's a similiar article/keynote address by him here:
http://www.savaea.org.au/members.html
Michelle Harrell