Re: Names on Clay

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 04:57:58 PDT

    For all my years (35) of teaching art "down at the elementary," I have
always instructed the students to put their names and room # on the edge of
a piece of manilla paper, which is cut the same size as a cardboard base.
They set their clay pieces on these to dry overnight. Then I carve the names
on the bottoms of the clay when it is leather hard. The cardboard base makes
a good carrying method, too. The students do not get the clay until their
cardboard/manilla identification set-up is complete and on their table
space. I use the cardboard bases over and over.
    The comment about being able to read one's own writing better made me
laugh. When I started out teaching, I once saw a primary student's painting
signed with ..
    Mi
ch
             ael. It took me several days to decode that one. :-)

                Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

---