Re: 5 modes of design

---------

From: Todd Osborne (artist_tao_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 10:21:12 PDT

This is a late reply, but I wanted to let you know about my version of these five categories that art may fit into.

1. Imitationalism - realistically recreating life or nature
2. Expressivism - expressing strong feeling or emotion
3. Formalism - concerned with formal elements and principles of design
4. Instrumentalism - social, political or moral message
5. Functionalism - art for utility or practical use (pottery, quilts, weaving...)

I have may students categorize any work of art that they see into ONE of these choices. Some works may fit into more than one, but they must make a choice and defend their choices.

Todd Osborne