was canned lessons, now painting

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 15:06:32 PDT

Leah says

> Speaking of lack of painting. . . I attended a (university)student art show
> at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, and I believe I only saw one
> painting. I am a painter, so this has me wondering what is going on. Is
> this happening everywhere?

170 years ago, when photography came into being, critics, historians,
observers, even artists, declared painting was dead. The invention of
photography led to Impressionism and abstraction and artists looking more to
the thinking process rather than recording and documenting events. The 20th
century was a very fast evolution in the expansion and conceptualism of the
artists role in representation. A 100 years of experimentation and new
thinking and questioning just what the artists role has become (since the
invention of photography)

Now , I think we may be seeing the end of that evolution and the beginning
of a new. I think that maybe painting is dead. I think it will remain for
the outsiders, the "folk" and the hobbyists,
but

new technologies offer such other opportunities for expression
and I think while artists continue to explore the new media, we may see an
incredible explosion in the artist response. Few young people have the
patience for the technique. My students that have the soul of the artist are
looking for the best ways to make those communications. And if my teaching
philosophy is, that an artist uses the most appropriate media to make that
communication of expression, I'm not sure painting fulfills that.

The artist's job is not to respond to a public that wants pretty pictures.
The artist's job, historically, has been to respond to issues and events and
"see" through the best communicating method of the time.
Technology has always effected the process, even if that technology was just
the invention of tubed paints.

I think we need to get on board and recognize that visual communication and
art with intrinsic value is moving fast and far ahead from processes that
no longer serve the purpose.
600 years ago it was fresco-- we teaching that anymore?

just some thoughts that hope to get some thought s going

Patty

---