RE: Are there any new ideas out there?

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 08:14:44 PDT

Are we static art teachers?
        No way! If we teach kids, I don't believe they let us be static. I
am constantly adding to, creating and revising lessons and ideas. The
students push me as much as I push them.

What do you think about art teachers and their ideologies these days?
        I think that as a whole, we are in the process of rediscovering and
redefining who we are as a group, what we want to teach, and how we are
going to teach it. Although there are different philosophical schools of
thought out there the bottom line is that we are in it for the students.
That is what pushes us. We know the arts are important and what they have
meant to each of us and we strive to share that with our students. What
better feeling is there than to help a student achieve more than they
thought possible?

Do they still use DBAE, interdisciplinary learning or creatvie
expressionism (Lowenfeld)any new ideas out there or new philosophies?
        The trend is DBAE still but not as hard core as a few years ago. I
think that the next five or so years will become more of a middle ground
between studio based classes (creative expressionism?, DBAE,
inter-disciplinary and multi-cultural. I was always taught that a good art
teacher incorporates history, multi-culturalism, interdisciplinary, creative
expressionism and art criticism with planned lessons that teach the students
how artists really work. How can we not teach a project without looking at
past artists, critiquing the artist's past work and collaborating with
colleagues across disciplines where applicable. We present ideas from other
cultures as we go and still leave the project open-ended enough for student
interpretation and expression. Then, we look at the end-product, push the
student to go further and teach them how to evaluate their own work, all the
while raising the bar for "what constitutes good art."

 My thoughts,
Becky in NC